Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you listen to, keyboardists?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
owex

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: What do you listen to, keyboardists? Reply with quote

Hi! Just wanted to know what kind of music other korg users listen to and why? Wink
I myself prefer metal, mainly progressive. Bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Tool, but also Children of Bodom, Lamb of God and Amon Amarth. I like that because of really good instrumental and amazing keyboard parts in some songs; I wish I could join a progressive band in the future, but they are rather rare and very few people want keyboardist in metal band. And what about you? Is it the same in your areas, or you have no problem in finding band?
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a lot of other keyboard players on YouTube. I don,t really want to watch the commercial stuff so much but instead opt for innovation and talent of the lesser known varieties. I also prefer to see players who show the keyboards that I'm using!
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to being a bit of a rock chick. My favourite bands are probably Alter Bridge, Creed, Stain'd, Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback and Evanescence. I love a good guitar solo and Mark Tremonti makes it look so easy!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to progressive rock, krautrock (mostly electronic german 'rock-like' electronica e.g. Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk), some pop-rock both from 2000s and 70s/80s. Not a big fan of actual metal as I find it not melodic enough and have always preferred overdrive to fuzz.

Also really enjoy IDM and chillout, textural soundtracks.

And a bit of Bach. Got to love Bach.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately? Lounge music. Sinatra, Martin, Louis Prima, Sammy Davis, all the 50-60's Vegas lounge stuff and 40's Big Band. Has such life and excitement to it, from a time when music was there to entertain, not be a crappy outlet for Now Generation angst.

When not listening to that, it's Genesis, Yes, Floyd, ELP, and Classical.

..Joe
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen mostly to rock, symphonic metal, gothic, songs to play for the band and more.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly Rock like Van Halen, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, 3 Days Grace, Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Dream Theatre
When I look for more melodic stuff I will listen to Billy Joel, Journey, 80's synth music.
Carlb1058

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the mood, can vary from the likes of Dream Theater or Rudess solo piano stuff, through Enrique Morente, ELP, Yes, Los Jaivas, Tangerine Dream, Mago de Oz, Pink Floyd, Warcry, Medina Azahara - ehh I did say it was mood dependent Smile

Cardiff City FC & Real Sporting de Gijon Fan
I own: Korg T2EX ~ Moog Little Phatty Stage II ~ Korg MS2000 ~ Roland RS-9 ~ a Fender and 2 Asturcons
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer extremely atmospheric tracks like Future Sound of London, Skinny Puppy, Pink Floyd, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, trance music in the vein of Paul van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold, The Orb, Brian Eno, Enigma, Mogwai, Erasure, Explosions in the Sky, Sonic Youth, Depeche Mode and just about anything Gavin MacKillop has produced including Goo Goo Dolls (hometown favorites), Toad the Wet Sprocket, Far Too Jones.

I love electronics for atmospheric and new sounds but the production is the key so I tend to follow producers more so than bands themselves. Give me a spacious stereo spread any day! Smile

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we have very similiar taste in music, cynkh! Some great stuff you list there Very Happy Personally I love FSOL, Brian Eno, Front 242, Pete Namlook, Monolake, Dead Can Dance etc
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musical tastes for me run the gamut.

That said, I love the experimental work of The Beatles above all - and for a band that had no keyboard player, they did amazing things with keys!

I also listen to Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, The Who, Within Temptation, Jarre, Blackmore's Night, Nightwish, Russian classical, specifically Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, and Mussorgsky.

I love Celtic music and modern "Irish" rock acts like The Dropkick Murphys.

Actually, the only music I don't listen to is country and western and hip hop.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a mixed bag really but if I had to be specific, electronic, club/dance, 80's, old skool hardcore/rave/breakbeat, britpop, indie, rock, chilled.

Armin van Buuren, U2, Syntax, Enigma, Leftfield, Faithless, Oasis, Garbage, Queen, Goldfrapp, Prodigy, Vangelis, Underworld, Coldplay, Moby, Levellers, Rank 1, Oakenfold, Above & Beyond, Corsten, PvD, etc.

Pretty boring mainstream stuff to most.
DH56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us old farts can still rock! I grew up on (and still listen regularly to) The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Chicago, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Alice Cooper, Spooky Tooth, Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Soft Machine, Genesis, Rush, Mahogany Rush, Captain Beyond, Savoy Brown, Foghat,The Eagles,The Doobie Brothers, Grand Funk, Cream, Roxy Music,Van Halen, Foreigner and many others and that was just the 60's and 70's.

I got into Jazz Rock and Fusion in the late 70's with George Duke, Stanley Clarke, Weather Report, Return to Forever, Miles Davis, Billy Cobham, Larry Coryell just to name a few and then into Modern Jazz with bands like Spyro Gyra, L.A. Express, Tom Scott, Elements, The Yellowjackets and others and finally into what I call Jazz Age with acts like Bruce Becvar, Checkfield, Full Circle, Danny Heines, Randy Tico, Tim Timmermans, Kit Walker and many others.

Then it was on to the New Age stuff with artists like David Arkenstone, Peter Buffett, Richard Burmer, Suzanne Ciani, Robert Rich, Steve Roach Shadowfax and others.

MTV also exposed me to the second British influx in the 80's with great bands like Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears, The Eurythmics and as well as others like The Talking Heads and Dire Straits.

On to the 90's with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains and progressive acts like Marillion, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings and of course Ozric Tentacles.

Sorry for such a long and extended list, but I think we are indeed influenced by all the music we listen to over our lifetime. As I've gotten older, I have learned to appreciate the old stuff more and more, from old blues, to the Frank Sinatra era and beyond. There is just so much good stuff out there!

Like Vlad, I don't listen regularly to Country and Western (go figure, I am born and raised in Texas!) or Rap.

Music is the opium of the masses! Wink
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynkh:
Where in Buffalo? I lived there 19 years. Town of Tonawanda first, then Main & Winspear area.

Played LOTS of gigs all over the place!

..Joe
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Buffalo ... I lived there 25 years. Kenmore, Tonawanda, Buffalo North Side, Buffalo West Side, Cheektowaga. No place on earth can make wings like the Anchor Bar Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: