Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP NEEDED - rebuilding the M3 OS from scratch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fugmann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: HELP NEEDED - rebuilding the M3 OS from scratch Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I still have some issues with my lovely M3. Several months ago I updated to OS ver. 2.04 - however something went wrong. I know that for sure.
When I try to overwrite the last update from ver. 2.0 to 2.04, it says: "latest OS already installed" and I am not allowed to overwrite data.

My issues are:
1) some sound are silent
2) I cant activate all menues on the screen
3) I can't sample

I have purchased a new SD clean card. Is it possible to install it in the M3 and then start installing OS ver 1, version 2 Expanded and 2.04 etc?

Your help is very much appreciated Smile

For your info, my M3 is with 61 keys, the "little" original SD-card, Radias exp. and M256 RAM expansion

Thank you in advance!!!

Henrik

Last edited by fugmann on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Regarding some of the sounds being 'silent' - maybe these are the ones using the 4 Korg sound packs? I forget what they're called as I hardly use the M3 now (only due to lack of time, not lack of interest), but they load some of the piano, brass, reed instruments etc on start-up. EXM's or something like this? If you haven't set the M3 to load them, then patches using these sounds will be silent.

I also know that it is possible to re-load the O/S onto the internal SD card, without having to open the M3 up. There is a special 'hidden' button sequence which gives direct access to the internal SD contents - your M3 shows up like an external SD device on your PC. Hopefully someone here can give you the instructions - again, I can't remember but have done this in the past.

Good luck.
fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:
Hi there,

I also know that it is possible to re-load the O/S onto the internal SD card, without having to open the M3 up. There is a special 'hidden' button sequence which gives direct access to the internal SD contents - your M3 shows up like an external SD device on your PC. Hopefully someone here can give you the instructions - again, I can't remember but have done this in the past.

Good luck.

Someone, please let me know how this is done....

Last edited by fugmann on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
RI Producer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read some where you dont want to go back with OS's it could cause PERMANENT DAMAGE to your M3. I would do a factory Reset, its much safer.

the steps are:

1. Turn off.
2. Hold down Reset Controllers & track buttons 1&2.
3. Turn on while holding them down.
fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RI Producer wrote:
Ive read some where you dont want to go back with OS's it could cause PERMANENT DAMAGE to your M3. I would do a factory Reset, its much safer.

the steps are:

1. Turn off.

I just tried to do so - now all sounds/presets are erased Shocked All patches are named InitCombi XXX or InitProgram XXX and sound like a piano - what shall I do next, please?
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:
iixorbiusii wrote:
Hi there,

Good luck.

Someone, please let me know how this is done....
If i remember correctly you should hold down SEQ+EXIT when booting up, then if you have connected it to your PC it should turn up as a CD card on it.
Disclaimer: on your own risc.

fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

I this procedure works I need to know what files I should upload to the SD-card? Someone who can fill in, please?
gurn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:
RI Producer wrote:

the steps are:

1. Turn off.

I just tried to do so - now all sounds/presets are erased Shocked All patches are named InitCombi XXX or InitProgram XXX and sound like a piano - what shall I do next, please?

Now you load all the previous sounds back onto your M3.
Here are some of them.

http://www.korgforums.com/?show=1

http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=280

I can email you my PCG files if you want. Other users probably have more complete sets.

Korg Kronos-88, Korg M3-88, Kawai K1r (alive), K-1 (dead)

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow, Fender Jazzmaster, 2015 Gibson Les Paul Special, acoustics
fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gurn wrote:
fugmann wrote:
RI Producer wrote:

the steps are:

1. Turn off.

Now you load all the previous sounds back onto your M3.
Here are some of them.

http://www.korgforums.com/?show=1

http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=280

I can email you my PCG files if you want. Other users probably have more complete sets.

Hmm - I guess that it should be lots of BIN-files, right? Please keep in mind that the files on the internal SD-card are not similar to the KEP-files that are stores on the USB-stick.

I wish that there is someone out there with the same M3 configuration as me who can send me an exact copy of the content of his/hers SD-card.
fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP NEEDED - rebuilding the M3 OS from scratch Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:
Hi guys,

I still have some issues with my lovely M3. Several months ago I updated to OS ver. 2.04 - however something went wrong. I know that for sure.
When I try to overwrite the last update from ver. 2.0 to 2.04, it says: "latest OS already installed" and I am not allowed to overwrite data.

My issues are:
1) some sound are silent
2) I cant activate some of the menues on the screen
3) I can't sample

I have purchased a new SD clean card. Is it possible to install it in the M3 and then start installing OS ver 1, version 2 Expanded and 2.04 etc?

For your info, my M3 is with 61 keys, the "little" original SD-card, Radias exp. and M256 RAM expansion

Thank you in advance!!!

Henrik

fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP NEEDED - rebuilding the M3 OS from scratch Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:
Hi guys,

My issues are:
1) some sound are silent
3) I can't sample

Thank you in advance!!!

Henrik

fugmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP NEEDED - rebuilding the M3 OS from scratch Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:
Hi guys,

My issues are:
1) some sound are silent
3) I can't sample

Thank you in advance!!!

Henrik

iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:

I wish that there is someone out there with the same M3 configuration as me who can send me an exact copy of the content of his/hers SD-card.

Actually, it would seem I have...(M3 61 with M256 and Radias EXB).

I made a backup of the internal SD about a year ago (version 2.04 I think).

Please PM me with somewhere I can send the image to - I imagine it's a good few hundred MB (not at the PC where it's stored until this evening).
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fugmann wrote:

Have you tried re-loading the factory patches? I forget how to do this, but it can be done from within the M3 itself. I think start with 'Global' menu.

I'll take the M3 out of storage later and fire it up to have a look how to do this and let you know.
EDIT:
OK - I have just checked.

1)Click 'Global'
2) On the screen (top right) press the "v" arrow next to "BASIC"
3) Select "load Pre-load / Demo Data" and then choose the option you want. I believe the first option "All..." will give you what you want.

If this still doesn't work, then we'll need to try a complete internal SD reload. I'll PM you on this semi-risky procedure (rather avoid it if possible).
fugmann

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, however one of my problems is that I can't activate the "v" menu on the screen in the upper right corner Sad

I am very certain that it is just a matter of software/OS - not some hardware related issues. The question is:
Can this be fixed by making sure that the SD-card and the USB-stick are loaded with the correct files? Are there any other issues that I should keep in mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: