Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Korg Kronos, weathering the storm? what storm? :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the Kronos weathering the storm?
Yes, because it is so good.
75%
 75%  [ 58 ]
Not yet, I will reserve judgement.
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
Still not happy, maybe I never will be.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 77

Saxifraga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Could you all please stop Reply with quote

waging a flame war?
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
Recalling products is nothing new. You say Yamaha insist on reliability. Fair enough. So why was the S90ES part of a general recall program due to loud white noise bursts ? And the funny bench of the YDP213 Digital Piano that was collapsing under your bottom ?

Well thank you for refreshing our memory and to again show us how poor has been the communication from Korg with us. Let's check this thread: Yamaha S90 ES Recall Yamaha actively recalled, recognized and even contacted customers... Now please do a search for the Kronos keyboard faulty thread, found here: Kronos 88 and RH3 keyboard faulty and see how many times and how long we had to wait for an answer from Korg.

BTW, in that thread about RH3 faulty keybed, it was discussed that a general recall would be needed and this is something that has never happened.

Now compare with Yamaha communication:

Yamaha's Vice President and General Manager wrote:
Dear Yamaha S90 ES Synthesizer Owner,
We understand that you purchased a Yamaha Synthesizer, model S90 ES. Yamaha has learned that, under high temperature conditions, this unit may emit loud white noise when it is turned off and then quickly turned on again. Although our testing shows that the noise emitted does not exceed noise standards established by the federal government, there is a small possibility that a user wearing headphones when this condition occurs could damage his or her hearing. We have not recieved any customer complaints or reports of injuries about this condition.
Yamaha adheres to the highest standards in quality control and customer satisfaction. To avoid any possibility that you could be exposed to this condition, we are requesting that you return your Synthesizer to us for replacement. Please call Susan Quihuis at 800-975-4029 or send an email to s90es@yamaha.com, to make return shipping arrangements for your Synthesizer, at no cost to you. We will ship a replacement unit within one week of Yamaha's receipt of your S90 ES. Also, if you return your S90 ES to Yamaha by December 15, 2005, Yamaha will extend the warranty on the product from one year to two years. As additional compensation for your inconvenience, we will include special rebate coupons for Yamaha accessories.
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your support of Yamaha products.

Sincerely,
[signature]
Tom Sumner
Vice President and General Manager
Yamaha Pro Audio and Combo Division"

Hope Korg will learn this way of handling issues...

Last edited by MarPabl on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Is the Kronos weathering the storm?

Answer: Yes, because it is so good.

Also, because there is nothing comparable from the competition at the moment.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
Sorry, I thought you meant the physical buttons, which are quite thin.

I agree. I would have liked the buttons a little larger and easier to click in a live situation. They work of course, but they require a bit of effort IMO if you're anywhere but the studio.

GregC wrote:

I don't get all the impatient drama.

The editor can be improved in the next ver. The other 2 points you made would be nice to have but are not deal breakers. And they might show up in the next year.

I see a lot of improvements over the past 5 months, the Rh3 fix, the OS updates, new Libs from Korg and Karo.

The glass is 90% full.

Others act like 10% empty is completely empty
and there is something seriously wrong. I think some folks are looking for problems that don't exist, thus they speculate all over the place.

That creativity can be applied to making music and enjoying the Kronos.

I agree. The problems are being fixed, and the sound libraries coming out ARE changing the game. The question will be how FAR we can push "The Game" with the Ram Limitations. Everyone's hoping for other updates such as the M3 sequencer and other functions which we may get in due time.

The editor? I think it's good it's out. I hope they plan to upgrade it as the usefulness of the 1st release is debatable. To be honest, I think PCG tools which is "non-korg" is a way more useful tool.

What people need to understand is to stay positive so the Kronos will SELL. The more people there are that own a Kronos, and the more money Korg makes, the more justification they can give to support and development for it. Scare everyone away and all the future stuff dies!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
The editor? I think it's good it's out. I hope they plan to upgrade it as the usefulness of the 1st release is debatable. To be honest, I think PCG tools which is "non-korg" is a way more useful tool.

Thanks for your kind words ... however the editor that Korg made is far more complicated (or actually not complicated but more time costly to make with all screens, DAW integration etc). Of course this does not say much about the usefullness.

With PCG Tools I try to take users wishes together with what I think is useful (in combination with the amount of time it takes).

NuSkoolTone wrote:
What people need to understand is to stay positive so the Kronos will SELL. The more people there are that own a Kronos, and the more money Korg makes, the more justification they can give to support and development for it. Scare everyone away and all the future stuff dies!

Exactly, part of the money will be used for upgrading the existing Kronos and related products, part of it will be gain for the company (they are a commercial company after all), and part of it will probably also be invested in the next workstation.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustoabo wrote:

For me, certain things on the Kronos are superb no question about that at all.
But when I see things like the need for inserts, the M3 having a better sequencer, the poor editor. All of these I see as issues that haven't been solved. That's not me trying to bring the Kronos down, or spout a triad of negativity about it, that's me expressing concern.

Sure the editor could be fixed over time (I doubt it though, that's not due to negativity, that's due to them thinking most users would be happy with what they released in the first place) and of course they can update the sw like they did with the M3. But why the step backwards from the M3 sequencer in the first place. I could understand it if the M3 didn't have the expanded sw when the Kronos was released, but the fact it did, again seems to me that someone at Korg really didn't get what the average Korg M3 owner enjoys and would expect to see in their next workstation upgrade.

Very well and fairly spotted, Ojustoaboo.
I fully support your point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KevinH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a distinct difference between white noise that can do physical damage to your hearing and a faulty keybed that causes note cutoffs. You obviously have to do a full recall on something that can cause harm to a person, but a keybed can be fixed without a recall. Yes, there could have been much better communication about the keybed situation, but in my opinion, the problem didn't require a full recall.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinH wrote:
There's a distinct difference between white noise that can do physical damage to your hearing and a faulty keybed that causes note cutoffs. You obviously have to do a full recall on something that can cause harm to a person, but a keybed can be fixed without a recall. Yes, there could have been much better communication about the keybed situation, but in my opinion, the problem didn't require a full recall.

Well I think the recall is necessary because while on a faulty keybed you won't personally suffer any physical damage, you may have to consider your professional reputation's damage when you're performing live and face such issues...

And this is exactly the point being discussed here: poor Korg's communication and handling of a great product, which has been severely damaged and talked about suffering so many issues.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
KevinH wrote:

Well I think the recall is necessary because while on a faulty keybed you won't personally suffer any physical damage, you may have to consider your professional reputation's damage when you're performing live and face such issues...

And this is exactly the point being discussed here: poor Korg's communication and handling of a great product, which has been severely damaged and talked about suffering so many issues.

I understand you have had a hassle with the Rh3. Its obvious your experience is not like everyone else.

However, a recall should not punish all the satisfied Kronos owners. Numerous owners have been playing their Kronos for 6 or more months
without a Rh3 issue.

Thus, a recall is unnecessary and would create much more unneeded
disruption, cost and inconvenience.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am sure has been said many times before, the M3 platform and the Oasys/Kronos platform (read: the underlying code) are just simply different. The fact that they had coded the Xpanded sequencer into the M3 platform was of no use to the programmers of the Kronos. They were building on the Oasys code. Its just apples and oranges. I would love to get an updated sequencer in the Kronos....which might include M3-type features (graphical representations, and piano-roll editing), but for such to happen its going to be a truly new design. I personally think that a V2.0 of Kronos can indeed happen in the future. Its not unprecedented. As to whether they would focus on the sequencer or not, or perhaps new engines, or other aspects of the toolset on board....remains to be seen.

As to the OP..... I think the Kronos is different things to different people. No keyboard is 'perfect'. And "workstation" keyboards" have the widest feature set of pretty much ANY music related hardware device in existence....leaving so many separate (but integrated) areas for opinion about its function or quality. I can see where a live gigging musician will look at the build quality, or certain types of instrument presets which they need for their performance, and have strong opinions about it. I can also see where the Kronos may have some deficiencies in these particular areas. I can see where someone who truly wants to use the Kronos as their primary sampler, or a DAW, may have strong opinions about either 'mode', as compared to a computer based solution, or some other hardware device. And again, I can see where perhaps there are some deficiencies in these areas.

But as a *synthesizer*, I think the Kronos is utterly remarkable, and in a place all by itself. The modulation routings, especially when you consider the integration between the various elements, is just amazing. And its not just the old standard conventional patches either. I have been spending quite some time lately doing work I have been contracted to do, which requires soundtrack/ambience type scores. I have put together a decent sized bank of custom programs on Kronos which are nothing short of inspiring. These are ambience and complex drone-type random "noise makers" and "pads" which are just beautiful. I can play them using various controller assignments and spit out unique snippets of ambience, never the same thing twice, sampling it along the way....and it works its way into my cues for these projects as totally custom sound design. The thing is, that I was able to use this remarkable Kronos toolset to create these patches which are very "modular" in approach, and now these patches themselves become a tool for me to return to. Mixing abstract synthesis from STR-1 and Poly-Six, along with some FM goodness from Mod-7, and then to control it all internally using diverse controller assignments, Karma, wave-sequencing, vector envelopes, and integrated (and outstanding!) effects.....all contained in a *recallable* "patch", is truly beyond any single synth that I can think of or have ever used. Sure, I have patched together such arrangements using multiple pieces of gear: a few synths, a few outboard effects processors, etc....but then such is not instantly available a few months from now to return to as an ongoing resource.

So you see, the Kronos is what you make of it. Its more than just the sum of its parts. It truly is an integrated toolset, and in many ways, its ground breaking. There is nothing quite like it to compete with it today. Its very complex...and sometimes its laborious to use in certain ways....but the point is.....the capability to do these things is *there*, every little nuance. You can then start to argue how it could be easier or better implemented. But really....the very fact that such depth exists and is functional in one single unit is remarkable amongst its peers. Some of the "quirks" of the age old Korg paradigm (like jumping from combi mode to edit programs, as one example) are just what they are. If you are a long time Korg-er, then such things are easy. Same is true with the sequencer for me. Doesn't mean it *couldn't* be done better.....just that it is tried, true, and very functional.

I say the Kronos stands alone as a *synthesizer platform* for what it is capable of.....and there is no "storm" in that department. But from another users intentions and wishes for their purchase, I can understand certain frustrations, and how it may compete in those areas on the open market.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I understand you have had a hassle with the Rh3. Its obvious your experience is not like everyone else.

However, a recall should not punish all the satisfied Kronos owners. Numerous owners have been playing their Kronos for 6 or more months
without a Rh3 issue.

Yes there's a valid point here. I know there are many Kronos owners with no issues Very Happy

With my first Kronos, which now I regret I sold, I didn't have this issue (or at least I didn't have enough time to detect it). But with my second (returned) and now third Kronos (all of them 88 keys), I have faced numerous issues, but I hope the nightmare will finish by this weekend...

Regarding the recall, we don't really know the real number of affected users. It's pretty clear that it's considerably larger than "less than 1%", and even now we can't know if those happy guys without issues in fact have the issues, but their playing style and Programs/Combis they use effectively hide the issues. Maybe from your point of view you have no issue, but if I play your Kronos, then maybe I can show you that your keybed indeed has the fault... who knows...

And taking this in consideration, I don't think it's a responsible or wise decision from Korg to avoid a recall.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
As I am sure has been said many times before, the M3 platform and the Oasys/Kronos platform (read: the underlying code) are just simply different. The fact that they had coded the Xpanded sequencer into the M3 platform was of no use to the programmers of the Kronos. They were building on the Oasys code. Its just apples and oranges. I would love to get an updated sequencer in the Kronos....which might include M3-type features (graphical representations, and piano-roll editing), but for such to happen its going to be a truly new design. I personally think that a V2.0 of Kronos can indeed happen in the future. Its not unprecedented. As to whether they would focus on the sequencer or not, or perhaps new engines, or other aspects of the toolset on board....remains to be seen.

Yes it's totally true but here we aren't talking about "developer efficiencies", but we're talking about great features for end users, and having only the very best on the flagship workstation.

Now, considering the timeline Korg Oasys was the flagship product from 2005-2009 and Korg M3 was released on 2007 and it was (is) explicitly mentioned it shared some R&D efforts from Oasys.

Korg M3 www.korg.com/M3 wrote:
Korg Redefines the Keyboard Workstation Category Once Again.
The Korg M3 features a number of innovations distilled from the flagship OASYS including the EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator derived from the HD-1 engine design, the advanced second-generation KARMA functionality, and the multi-purpose control surface. Adding innovations such as the new concept of "virtualized hardware" that allows an even closer integration with DAW systems, Drum Tracks which provide an instant groove to play along with, and the new "Korg Komponent System" concept that facilitates more flexible system construction, this keyboard workstation/sampler opens a new and exciting page in music making. Plain and simple, the Korg M3 is the keyboard workstation that rightfully deserves to wear the "M" that started it all.

It's undeniable the UI of both of them shares many functionality. Also, the XPanded version of Korg M3 was released on 2008 which maybe (likely) means the development team needed a full year to improve the sequencer.

Considering Kronos started development around 2007-2008, because as it has been stated, surely a great deal of effort was needed to add the exciting new features we now enjoy with Kronos; then this is at least 3 years for developing... I think this is more than enough time to adjust the sequencer found on M3 to fit it on Kronos and why not, also on Oasys.

And we may say the very same about the Drum Track feature: well Kronos can't have it because this is from M3 and you know this is just not possible to do that... but guess what, we now have it too and we surely can't say: well but just adding a few check boxes on Program mode to host the Drum Track is a piece of cake, no way to compare it to adding a few nice little drawings on the sequencer mode.

RonF wrote:
As to the OP..... I think the Kronos is different things to different people. No keyboard is 'perfect'. And "workstation" keyboards" have the widest feature set of pretty much ANY music related hardware device in existence....leaving so many separate (but integrated) areas for opinion about its function or quality. I can see where a live gigging musician will look at the build quality, or certain types of instrument presets which they need for their performance, and have strong opinions about it. I can also see where the Kronos may have some deficiencies in these particular areas. I can see where someone who truly wants to use the Kronos as their primary sampler, or a DAW, may have strong opinions about either 'mode', as compared to a computer based solution, or some other hardware device. And again, I can see where perhaps there are some deficiencies in these areas.

But as a *synthesizer*, I think the Kronos is utterly remarkable, and in a place all by itself. The modulation routings, especially when you consider the integration between the various elements, is just amazing. And its not just the old standard conventional patches either. I have been spending quite some time lately doing work I have been contracted to do, which requires soundtrack/ambience type scores. I have put together a decent sized bank of custom programs on Kronos which are nothing short of inspiring. These are ambience and complex drone-type random "noise makers" and "pads" which are just beautiful. I can play them using various controller assignments and spit out unique snippets of ambience, never the same thing twice, sampling it along the way....and it works its way into my cues for these projects as totally custom sound design. The thing is, that I was able to use this remarkable Kronos toolset to create these patches which are very "modular" in approach, and now these patches themselves become a tool for me to return to. Mixing abstract synthesis from STR-1 and Poly-Six, along with some FM goodness from Mod-7, and then to control it all internally using diverse controller assignments, Karma, wave-sequencing, vector envelopes, and integrated (and outstanding!) effects.....all contained in a *recallable* "patch", is truly beyond any single synth that I can think of or have ever used. Sure, I have patched together such arrangements using multiple pieces of gear: a few synths, a few outboard effects processors, etc....but then such is not instantly available a few months from now to return to as an ongoing resource.

So you see, the Kronos is what you make of it. Its more than just the sum of its parts. It truly is an integrated toolset, and in many ways, its ground breaking. There is nothing quite like it to compete with it today. Its very complex...and sometimes its laborious to use in certain ways....but the point is.....the capability to do these things is *there*, every little nuance. You can then start to argue how it could be easier or better implemented. But really....the very fact that such depth exists and is functional in one single unit is remarkable amongst its peers. Some of the "quirks" of the age old Korg paradigm (like jumping from combi mode to edit programs, as one example) are just what they are. If you are a long time Korg-er, then such things are easy. Same is true with the sequencer for me. Doesn't mean it *couldn't* be done better.....just that it is tried, true, and very functional.

I say the Kronos stands alone as a *synthesizer platform* for what it is capable of.....and there is no "storm" in that department. But from another users intentions and wishes for their purchase, I can understand certain frustrations, and how it may compete in those areas on the open market.

I think we all agree here that Kronos is the best workstation around. This is just incontrovertible. The sad part of the history is that Korg can give lessons about shooting oneself's feet with such a poor product release.

Last edited by MarPabl on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
GregC wrote:

without a Rh3 issue.

Yes there's a valid point here. I know there are many Kronos owners with no issues Very Happy

With my first Kronos, which now I regret I sold, I didn't have this issue (or at least I didn't have enough time to detect it). But with my second (returned) and now third Kronos (all of them 88 keys), I have faced numerous issues, but I hope the nightmare will finish by this weekend...

Regarding the recall, we don't really know the real number of affected users. It's pretty clear that it's considerably larger than "less than 1%", and even now we can't know if those happy guys without issues in fact have the issues, but their playing style and Programs/Combis they use effectively hide the issues. Maybe from your point of view you have no issue, but if I play your Kronos, then maybe I can show you that your keybed indeed has the fault... who knows...

And taking this in consideration, I don't think it's a responsible or wise decision from Korg to avoid a recall.

I viewed the Youtube demonstrating the Rh3 strike( double strike) defect. I tried persistently to duplicate it and could not.

Many 88 ( and possibly 73) owners are piano and/or organ oriented and place a lot of effort to nuance and touch on their 88. I believe most of those owners would have detected the Rh3 defect if it existed.

As far as numbers are concerned, there has been tons of conjecture. I think its reasonable to state there have been 250 reported Rh3 defects. That is a big # even for a ' numerator '. But it does not suggest a huge % in my humble opinion. We are not certain of the denominator ( which are total 73/88 sold worldwide) .

I am confident your Kronos will be accurately repaired. The reports show that almost every owner is satisfied ( even eventually).

Hang in there a little longer. It will be worth it.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I viewed the Youtube demonstrating the Rh3 strike( double strike) defect. I tried persistently to duplicate it and could not.

Many 88 ( and possibly 73) owners are piano and/or organ oriented and place a lot of effort to nuance and touch on their 88. I believe most of those owners would have detected the Rh3 defect if it existed.

As far as numbers are concerned, there has been tons of conjecture. I think its reasonable to state there have been 250 reported Rh3 defects. That is a big # even for a ' numerator '. But it does not suggest a huge % in my humble opinion. We are not certain of the denominator ( which are total 73/88 sold worldwide) .

Yes, personally I would be really interested about knowing the real number, but even 250 is a big number, considering that there have been about 6000 (73 & 88 ) sold. This gives you around 4.6% which is far from just a bad luck and we don't even know for which serial # the fix began to be applied, so that 4.6% could be even larger. For this reason, a fix had to be applied to existing claims and to new production.

I don't think this is a small number because many of us, having to ask for the fix, have been forced to long waits because of back-ordered issues. And again it's important to say that this "fix" is not unique and specific to a small number of faulty units, but it's also available to the production line. But again who knows...

Even take a look to this very same poll: there's a 20% of guys who are not totally satisfied Confused And this is for the issues with Kronos, I just can't imagine this number comes from the (ridiculous/funny/impossible) fact that Kronos is a lacking workstation (LOL)

GregC wrote:
I am confident your Kronos will be accurately repaired. The reports show that almost every owner is satisfied ( even eventually).

Hang in there a little longer. It will be worth it.

Yes I know it will work and there are just a few days from now Very Happy Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos RH3 was repaired in less than a week by Korg uk. New rubber contacts.
It is now perfect.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: