Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Select Favourites?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend trying out the 'save favorites' proceedure on just a couple of programs/combis first, to make sure you've got it right.

I spent several hours selecting my favorites from most of the program banks and messed up with my saving and lost the lot. Embarassed

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
Redrain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the user manual say :

"2. Touch the Favorite box, underneath the Tempo
parameter, so that the box is filled in with a red
square (this shows that the box is “checked”).
3. Write the Program.
This is an important step. If you don’t write the
Program, the change to the Favorites check‐box won’t
be retained.
For details on how to write Programs, see “Saving your
edits” on page 42"

if I do this and don't work there is a bug !

the user guide do not say to save all , pcg etc etc. !
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious:

Why use favorites at all when you can just use setlists to accumulate all your favorite sounds? Super fast, visual method to move between sounds.

At least that's what I do.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely for when you're browsing programs and combi's in the internal sequencer.
Redrain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phinnin wrote:
I'm curious:

Why use favorites at all when you can just use setlists to accumulate all your favorite sounds? Super fast, visual method to move between sounds.

YES this is thrue...but I found a little big-bug in setlist :

go in set list,
recall a sequence
start a sequence
go in sequencer mode
now you can't return in set list mode !

I need this in live gig !!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Good comment Michel

The answer here is workflow and thinking things through.

Take this scenario:

1. I have factory settings loaded
2. I mark my favourites and save as 'user_1.PCG'
3. I then buy a Kronos sample-based library and load that up
4. I mark my favourites in the new load
5. When I save, I have two options. 1) Overwrite the new sample library PCG or 2) over-write the user_1.PCG
6. Problem - user_1.PCG will only work if I have the sample-based loaded as well

Which means that you have to keep track of which sample-based libraries you have loaded, which means user_2.PCG. Now we have 2 PCGs. If I update one with new favourite selections, I don't (can't) update the other - unless I go through one by one and replicate the two PCG files.

I accept that PCG tools really does help in this. Truly it does. But if you buy 10 sample-based libraries plus your own sound edits, keeping your favourites consistent between all PCGs is really difficult and it needs a methodical workflow.

This has been discussed many times in the OASYS section here. It is not a failing in the Korg approach - it's just a case of following the logic through.

PCGs aren't monolithic. You can both load and save individual banks, as desired. It's pretty simple to merge banks from different PCGs, which will of course preserve the "Favorite" settings as well.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that works sometimes, Dan

Take a factory load. Marked up with Favorites. All fine. Yes you can mix and match banks and place them elsewhere, etc.

However, if I load KSL for example, the samples for that library overwrites (a lot but not all) factory ones.

This means then that the favorites I had for the factory load no longer applies as they sound different, because the samples they used are no longer in the place expected.

So if I want to preserve the KSL load with favourites and to preserve the factory load with a different set of favourites, that means I need two PCGs - and so on for any other sample based libraries; simply because of the sample differences.

My workflow learning has suggested to me that I have to be very methodical about my starting point in a session, with full awareness with what I may or may not load in addition to that starting point, what I have edited in that session (which may or may not include SNGs - which is another dimension again as they are entirely and totally dependent on a particular sound set being loaded) and from all these variables, determine if I need a new PCG/KSC 'Save all'. The workflow also requires that I have to remember the starting point, as if I save all after I've loaded another bank library and overwrite the original PCG, I've lost the starting settings. Hence why I have three backups - OASYS, USB drive and on PC data drive (ie not on OS drive).

I can honestly say I don't know how else Korg could organise it given the relationship complexities (so none of my comments are based on any kind of criticism or complaint) - all I'm saying is each user needs to develop their own workflow and stick to it. And back-up!

But if there's a way you can make this easier for folks like me, I'd love to hear about it!

Edited to say: thanks for contributing Dan; your input really helps maintain the high value of the forum

Last edited by cello on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redrain wrote:
Phinnin wrote:
I'm curious:

go in set list,
recall a sequence
start a sequence
go in sequencer mode

I haven't my Kronos around now, but I can't imagine this is a bug. When in sequencer mode and playing a song, it seems logical you cannot go to a program/combi (via a set list). Because the set of timbres (in case of combi) is completely different.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Redrain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Redrain wrote:
Phinnin wrote:
I'm curious:

go in set list,
recall a sequence
start a sequence
go in sequencer mode

I haven't my Kronos around now, but I can't imagine this is a bug. When in sequencer mode and playing a song, it seems logical you cannot go to a program/combi (via a set list). Because the set of timbres (in case of combi) is completely different.

It's very illogic, because you can pass trom set list to sequencer mode but you con't return to set list mode (with the sequencer playng)
Redrain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want only to return in set list mode not to go in combi or program mode!
This is a bug!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redrain wrote:
I want only to return in set list mode not to go in combi or program mode!
This is a bug!

I know, but set list mode is similar to going to a program or combi.
Did you try stopping the song? Probably then you can go to set list mode again.

A song can contain 16 timbres. If you could use a set list slot referencing to a combi also containing 16 timbres you would have 32 timbres working at the same time which is not possible.

What you could probably do is copy the timbres you want to use to the song to play those yourself, but it has to fit in 16 timbres.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Redrain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I Know, it's not usefull, but I can't return to set list mode with the same song selected in sequencer mode (so the mode don't change).
nowtime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder and discussion about favorites. I have been using setlists for my favs and it does not work well for me. It would be better if I could have 16 pages in a setlist that would keep their empty slots when adding new progs/combis. This way i could have a page for pianos, a page for pads, etc.

I think it will be better to see my favs in a list of banks or sound types. I look forward to the new editor or perhaps a Mac version of the PCG Tools.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
Thanks for the reminder and discussion about favorites. I have been using setlists for my favs and it does not work well for me. It would be better if I could have 16 pages in a setlist that would keep their empty slots when adding new progs/combis. This way i could have a page for pianos, a page for pads, etc.

You can easily do this! There's no need for there to be a Program or Combi in each Slot.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redrain wrote:
Yes I Know, it's not usefull, but I can't return to set list mode with the same song selected in sequencer mode (so the mode don't change).

I just tried this:

1. Record a short sequence in Song 000
2. In Set List mode, set a Slot to Song 000
3. Select that Slot
4. Press Seq Start
Song begins to play...
5. Select Edit Song from the menu
KRONOS switches to Seq mode; song keeps playing
6. Press SET LIST
KRONOS returns to Set List mode; song keeps playing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: