Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which threads should I read first?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which threads should I read first? Reply with quote

dhjdhj wrote:
OK --- long time Oasys owner, just ordered Kronos to use in a secondary smaller live setup. Figured I'd check out the new Kronos forums to see what's going on --- but there's just way too many posts (and yeah, this one is probably not helping too much either!) to wade through.

Any recommendations for "gotchyas", "best practices", and "best of" threads?

There's nothing astonishly new in the Kronos when compared to the OASYS.

If you can get an OASYS to do what you want, then you can get a Kronos to do what you want Smile
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 61. For my minirig, the goal is indeed to be easy to schlep things around. My plan is to use an Akai MPK88 (weighted) controller for piano-style playing and the Kronos for organ/synth stuff. In all cases, actual sound will be produced using both Kronos sound libraries and/or VSTs running under Max/MSP on a laptop.

Lou wrote:
Congrats on your new Kronos. (61 or 73?)

Your going to love it as much and possibly more than your Oasys.
It may not have as many bells and whistles, but there are some very useful features Korg implemented, which I'm sure you are aware of.
Also, moving forward, I think we have a much better chance at seeing Kronos advancement.. Not to mention, but "the ease of hauling it around." enjoy!

Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schlepping the 61 around is no problem at all. But if you are carrying the MPK88, that still no joke..
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all relative. This is what I have been carrying around until now!

Lou wrote:
Schlepping the 61 around is no problem at all. But if you are carrying the MPK88, that still no joke..
[/url]
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhjdhj wrote:
It's all relative. This is what I have been carrying around until now!

Lou wrote:
[/url]

You mean for every gig you need to transport all this? Hope you have a roadie (or more).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I had a Hammond Organ ... but I'm glad I don't have it anymore. Ok it sounded great (when it was not broken or behaving strangely) but you needed 4 people to carry it on stage and to transport it into the rehearsal room after the gig.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Once I had a Hammond Organ ... but I'm glad I don't have it anymore. Ok it sounded great (when it was not broken or behaving strangely) but you needed 4 people to carry it on stage and to transport it into the rehearsal room after the gig.

You really should only have two people carrying a Hammond, one on each end using the proper organ dollies. When you have two people on each end the weight is shifting all over the place and you can hurt your back. Of course, I was rarely successful at convincing my bandmates of this.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use roadies....the problem was not really the gear itself which in theory could be setup/torn down in 1/2 hour (because the cabling system carries audio, midi, power, USB and control signals and so very easy to connect) but more because we ended up playing in places where there wasn't enough room to actually do the setup without getting in someone else's way....that ended up being the stressor for me.

michelkeijzers wrote:

You mean for every gig you need to transport all this? Hope you have a roadie (or more).

Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit this forum every day and read the latest posts to keep myself informed.
There's a few categories for me in which posts can be put:

• Posts with very important information. I add such posts to my bookmarks in my browser (I put them in a dedicated Kronos folder);
• Posts with questions. If I have the feeling I can answer those questions or find the answer quickly myself, then I will do so. Not only can I potentially make some other forum user happy, I learn new stuff myself as well in the process;
• Posts with general information. I just read them;
• Posts with verbal fights, lots of off topic stuff, or stuff that doesn't interest me at all. I click them once to mark them as "read" in my browser, but I don't really read them.

What helped me the first day I had the Kronos, was watching the instruction video's on the DVD's that come with the Kronos.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
Well there you go, now you've done it. Obviously you have read the fan post. Avoid the posts of someone called "sparkie" as you will want to get a second trust deed on your house to immediately purchase a Jupiter 80 and donate your Kronos to charity. Smile

Do I hear the word "Jupiter 80" mentioned? Some troll rang my bell....
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

You really should only have two people carrying a Hammond, one on each end using the proper organ dollies. When you have two people on each end the weight is shifting all over the place and you can hurt your back. Of course, I was rarely successful at convincing my bandmates of this.

We didn't have an organ dollie (have to look how it looks like) so handling it was quite difficult. Also lifting it on stages etc (wonder if two people would be enough in such cases).

We don't have many gigs but it seems for bands having more gigs such a dollie would be a necessity.

phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
We didn't have an organ dollie (have to look how it looks like) so handling it was quite difficult. Also lifting it on stages etc (wonder if two people would be enough in such cases).

We don't have many gigs but it seems for bands having more gigs such a dollie would be a necessity.

These are the dollies I use.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some particularly adept users like Ron F and Busch that are quite generous in their sharing of insights and technical info; Busch even has a blog with patches and thoughts http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/; they'd be worth doing a search for. And someone else has started a patch sharing site.

I see you've got an Eigenharp. Have you learned to play it much? Am curious about its uses as a controller, being that you can wiggle each key from side to side and has very sensitive keys, its got the breath pipe, another set of keys for controller functions, etc. Have you used it as a midi controller for your keyboards, and how does it compare in expressiveness to using a standard keyboard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: