Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditioning Synth Engine Sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
searlstudio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Auditioning Synth Engine Sounds Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to specifically audition sounds from the individual synth engines? Short of scrolling through every preset I'm unsure how I can specifically get to MOD 7 sounds for example.

Now that I've had this amazing Kronos for a couple of weeks I want to start getting into programming some of the synths inside but want to work with each engine independently... Before combining of course.

Thanks.
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Auditioning Synth Engine Sounds Reply with quote

No, would be great if you could search like this though .... OS 1.6 Korg ?

searlstudio wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to specifically audition sounds from the individual synth engines? Short of scrolling through every preset I'm unsure how I can specifically get to MOD 7 sounds for example.

Now that I've had this amazing Kronos for a couple of weeks I want to start getting into programming some of the synths inside but want to work with each engine independently... Before combining of course.

Thanks.

13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the request here.

In PROG mode scrolling through presets is easy. You press the value up or down button and the way the programs are organised is that specific engines are devoted to specific banks.

I assume the OPEN pcg button also allows people to access and audition the individual sounds inside a PCG file too.

Regards
Sharp.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banks have some blocks of mixed pickles synth sounds. But they are in no way a substitute for being able to scroll through all sounds of a certain engine, no matter in which bank they may be. This is really something fundamental missing in the present Kronos OS. When I want to search for MS-20 lead sounds, I have no chance to do it with the present OS.

Else the category system is really nice, with sub- and user-categories. Excellent job here!

But it has two major drawbacks:
a) the really CONSTANTLY annoying display of endless and most times not at all wanted GM sounds (this is really overdue to be changed to a mere option in an OS update!) and
b) the missing browsing through patches of single engines.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
a) the really CONSTANTLY annoying display of endless and most times not at all wanted GM sounds (this is really overdue to be changed to a mere option in an OS update!)

Dan confirmed this will be fixed in the 1.5 OS update.

jimknopf wrote:
b) the missing browsing through patches of single engines.

I agree on this. While the category system works fine to find a sound in a specific instrument category, it would be very nice to browse by synth engine as well.
Since the 9 engines are a central part of Korgs advertising campaign for the Kronos, it would make sense to reflect this in the program browsing.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it would be only half a solution, but would it help if PCG Tools could generate a list that contains the engine(s) used per program?

You will have to navigate yourself but at least you don't have to find them yourself anymore.

Please let me know and I will add it to the wish list. (I'm watching this topic).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
searlstudio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I know it would be only half a solution, but would it help if PCG Tools could generate a list that contains the engine(s) used per program?

This would help initially. I would create sub categories in the program select browser for each of the synth engines. It would make it quicker for me to find them this way.

Ultimately an option to browse by engine would be best.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searlstudio wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

This would help initially. I would create sub categories in the program select browser for each of the synth engines. It would make it quicker for me to find them this way.

Ultimately an option to browse by engine would be best.

I cannot change to OS of course but that would be a nice addition. Note that lots of programs would fall under 2 categories (using 2 different engines).

I will add it in the wish list but probably not implement it really soon, since the editor that comes out may contain such functionality (however I doubt it a bit).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that if you were just looking for example for MS-20 leads, you might miss out on some great leads from other programs that do fit the bill.

One of the nice things about the K and O is that you get that abstraction - the 'sounds' are entirely independent of the 'engines' and you can mix/match them fairly dynamically, unlike most software plugin environments.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't make sense, since a program can be made up of 2 different EXis, or am I missing something?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
That doesn't make sense, since a program can be made up of 2 different EXis, or am I missing something?

Tha't's true, so in this case a program using two different engines should belong to two different categories (at the same time).

philmagnotta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like this:
When on an EXi or HD-1 page, touch a selection which could be called,
"DEFAULT"
That wouldn't be unusual. Other manufacturers have or have had a feature to implement a "DEFAULT" patch function for the starting point in programming.
Am I incorrect in recalling that programming functions already exist in the Kronos to do this, such as pressing buttons combinations to set an AMP ENV parameters to default, as well, other various operations?

Last edited by philmagnotta on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if on the setlist screen there would be a possibility for an additional tab labeled "Engine Select." I realize of course that there would be much more than merely adding a tab, but, Kronos already DOES categorize by type, i.e, motion, plucked, keyboard, etc. It seems to me that since the nine synth engines are one of the big selling points of Kronos that Korg perhaps should have considered this. It's no big deal as consulting the OpGuide and Paramter Guide will tell you exactly what banks are devoted to/feature what engine.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: A sexy opening screen would have been a cool graphic with all nine engines and a tenth in the middle for setlist IMHO.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: