Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs Reason

View previous topic :: View next topic  
britkeys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Kronos vs Reason Reply with quote

Brass on reason is great. Love kronos for German grand and ease of making Mp3s of my piano playing, but just bought reason, and tho would use K in live situation, Reason has brass that sounds like brass. Yeeeay!
Know the K is versatile and not knocking it, but brass it ain't got.
britkeys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that, flugel on K may be better.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider using the sampling options on the Kronos to sample the Reason brass sounds, so you can use them in a live setting as well.
vstkeys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus vs Moses vs Abraham vs Mohamad
lol
All depends in what you believe (like) or fits your needs. Kronos sampling sucks bad time, and will bet any money that whenever that "editor " comes out it will not address or facilitate multsampling maping nor converting etc. Another useless hardware with "sampler"
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vstkey's, I recommend you get rid of the Kronos and stick with the your computer and avoid all this useless hardware Arrow

you could also drop the "keys" from your name.

There is no reason for this! There is no brass in the Kronos, only plastic, a little copper and some tin.

Merry Virtual Christmas Shocked Smile
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Phabius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Reason since 1.0
Its really amazing and gets better with every new version.
By the time I've got my Triton Extreme units, I've managed to recollect my Akai CD ROMs and transfer a lot of sounds, both to Reason Refills and Korg KSCs.
Something like 100+ CD ROMs. I've used Chicken Systems Translator (nice piece of software) and had to make lots of adjustments and customization myself.

That's why I really don't care when people say they don't like the strings, brass, or other sounds in Kronos. I always been deeply into sampling since the days of the Korg DSS1, so if I need a sound a keyboard doesn't have, I just make it myself with whatever technology is available in the instrument and try to get the best results.

And today, with all the high quality samples in many formats around (much better than the old Akai ones, for example), it's even easier to get to the sounds we want and transfer them to the Kronos or other sampler.

More importantly, Kronos offers me what other keyboards don't - eight high quality dedicated sound engines. Like in those first adds: samples are just the begining... Wink

Following is an example of sounds which go with you for life, because you've used them once and they got so important to a song that you just can't use anything else instead.

At 3:30 - There's a brass arrangement made of original Akai samples (Quantum Leap Brass CD ROMs), which were played by Reason's NN-XT sampler module on the album.
For our first tour, I've managed to convert them to KSC, which can now be directly read by the Kronos.
So now they are in the Kronos and play perfectly well as usual, giving the song its original flavour.
In the future, probably they will be in another sampler, an so on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pekli7Uqk1E
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
britkeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phabius,

Thanks for the response, yeah I'm not that technically minded. The brass at 3:33 sounds great, you say you can do this on Kronos? I need to explore sampling more, but as I say would have to put some time in to figure this out.
Would love the brass out of the box to be phenomenal, as you would expect from an instrument of this quality (price!)
Reason's orchestral brass has me wowed immediately, whereas Kronos's is a bit cringey. I listened again today, thinking an absence may have made my heart fonder, but as stand alone sounds, I am still not grabbed.
Saying that, in a mix, I think the brass blend ok, from the little full-on sequencing I've done with it so far. I did an overture to a musical, and weedy trumpet could still cut through and sounded better within the texture of the orchestra.

I still love Kronos, I use it mainly for the German Grand and ease of recording my playing to MP3s, without the blips of software and having to bring a computer, cables and soundcard to my keyboard to record. (I don't really have a large music room, so my puter is not near keyboard unless I bring it all downstairs.) I will use it for a show I am doing soon, just about to install 1.5. As I say, layered with strings, the brass become more useable.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Phabius
That was a really cool song. The Brass part made it sound like a movie sound track....more like a sound track for "007" , or even "Kill Bill"! Nice work.

As far as Reason Vs. Kronos: I don't like every sound in Kronos of course, but I thought the Brass section was actually good for general purpose. I like the strings way better though. Piano/Elec P are awesome for sure.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kronos did every sound perfectly out of the box, it wouldn't need to come with a sampler or the ability to edit sounds.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the EXs3 library which contains more brass samples. These are not loaded by default.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: