Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategy for naming, saving and loading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennyoldham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Strategy for naming, saving and loading Reply with quote

Kronos masters, please be patient with me! I really have read the manual and have poured over the forum discussions on this topic, but I find it all really confusing. I am in need of a simple strategy for saving and loading and organizing.

I simply use the Kronos to create songs on the sequencer. I don't edit samples, programs or set lists. I have used the "load template song" feature in my songs and I probably don't use more than 16 tracks in any one song, all with very basic rhythm section patches.

I have a big fat mess of many songs/directories that were created when trying to figure this system out, but I am afraid to delete any of them for fear that is the only song that I saved correctly. Is there any way to copy songs from one directory into another so I can make sure everything is there before I begin cleaning out? So far, I just need a single directory for this project which will have about 30 songs.

It is sheer trial and error to select the files that I need to load in order to play back a song on the sequencer. There are so many songs with the same name that it is impossible to select the correct one. With the Fantom, I am accustomed to saving every time I make an edit. Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I have multiple files of the same song. If I manage to load the song, it may play back everything but the first midi track (which is usually a drum track).. Sometimes I'll fool around with the auto-load tab in the global feature and get it to play back everything, but it is not a reliable, consistent method, just dumb luck.

I got in the habit of "saving all" but now I am getting the error message that I don't have enough memory to load all the files to play just one song. For my purposes, do I only need to load the KSG and SNG files to get them to play back or do I need to load all? Why wouldn't I have enough memory for this? Should I select clear or append when I save if I always want to recall the song with saved changes? Is there any way to dump the demo songs to free up space? I am afraid to move to 1.5 for fear that I will lose what I have managed to save.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I desperately need a simple, clear way to understand how to organize my files. I am a Fantom X8 user and just I don't get the way this system is organized. I also need a simple way for my songs to automatically load on boot up. I want to be able to see a list of songs that I have created for one directory and select one and play it. This seems to be overly complicated. If there is a tutorial that addresses this, I would be all over it.

Thank you,

Foaming at the mouth

I have a Mac Pro, Roland X8 and now a Kronos Sad
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum Smile

You're not the only one who's been in this position, I amongst others have been there!! Laughing
It does sound like you've got a bit of organising to do though!

There are several methods to do this -
Firstly, you *can* load the song up and then re-save into a new directory, along with a new name.
Secondly, under the Disk function, you can copy/paste the songs into a new directory and then rename the song (or rename it first, under the utility tab)

Once they're moved you can delete them from the original directory.

In order for these to load up automatically, under global, there is an auto-load function - you can stick your songs in here for auto-loading.

If you're not using edited sounds or samples, then the no, you don't need to save "all" (imho).

If you're not sure - you can always "Midi OUT" of Kronos to your MacPro/Fantom and record the data over. That way, if you lose anything, you've got a back up.

Hope this helps a bit Cool Stick with it - you're already using functions that some users (including myself!) haven't really bothered with! (I sequence on Mac)

Dan Smile
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: before deleting songs on the Kronos, copy everything you made to a USB stick (via the Disk Mode -> Utility tab -> dropdown menu).
At least you have a backup before cleaning up things.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, when you are saving a .SNG file (misleading extension) you are saving any and all Sequences you created, not just one sequence and these are referred to as "songs". In other words Song001, Song002, Song003 (in the sequencer)are all saved to * (your file name).SNG. What you should do is load each of your SNG files and use the "append" option. This will keep satcking the songs up and then you can save them in the SNG file. You could name it something like ALL.SNG. If I remember correctly, you cannot open (as opposed to load) a SNG file in the file manager window to see what is in it (I could be wrong on this), so you might have to write up a list of the songs contained in each SNG file. Either way loading with the append option should yeild the results you need. And as someone else said, back all you .SNG files to removeable media- just in case.And remember you can rename each song (sequence) while in the Sequencer mode (it is in the drop down menu. But just because you renamed it doesn't mean it has been saved. Remember also that a "save" on the Kronos means to save to disk. A wite operation only saves to internal memory, and in the Kronos, certain data is not saved at power down. This includes RAM samples, sequences, setlists and global settings.
Hope this helped clear things up for you.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
If I remember correctly, you cannot open (as opposed to load) a SNG file in the file manager window to see what is in it (I could be wrong on this), so you might have to write up a list of the songs contained in each SNG file.

I hope to add this functionality in PCG Tools in some time.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jennyoldham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Strategy for saving, loading and organizing Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I hope to put your tips to use this weekend. I appreciate your help.
arne v

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and:
On my Kronos i have a folder called "backup Kronos". Here i can save "all" and i use the dates as names when saved. You can have different subfolders named "todays date" and just delete old ones when your not using them. A good tip by YUMA is to also do a back up to a USB disk. I do that everytime a have made changes or made new stuff. To take it a step further leave a backup on your mac/pc as well just incase Smile
This sounds a bit quirky, but you will get used to it Smile
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've learned from the OASYS (same file structure as Kronos), is backup, backup, backup!

I have 3 levels of backup; OASYS HDD, USB drive and then my main PC back-up disk.

Dont' ever start an editing or SEQ session without backing up your current setup. Also have your own, specific, good, global backup. ie A backup you can go to and everything is the way you want it.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent over three years (on and off) organising my OASYS - you can see how I organise banks of programs, Permanent Libraries on HD and Projects on HD in the document:

http://www.knect.ie/OASYS_Info.html

More than one year work went into just planning the OASYS so I can use it and be sure of tracking everything (the other time in sorting our libraries).

Some key features of the work flow include:

1. Assign banks to particular synthesizer engines. Only assign 110 of your favourite programs permanently, and keep about 16 -18 program slots free at all times, per bank, so that when you modify programs in a song you can store them temporarily (per project) in the free program slot without wiping over your permanent 100 favourite sounds.

Projects are stored on the OASYS HD (and backed up to USB HD) as "All Data" files - so everything associated with the project is instantly recallable at any time. Since this can be a large file - I recommend making 2 backups to separate USB disks and then wipe it from the internal HD to free up space.

Furthermore - after each project - any new programs you created in each bank slot 111 - 127 should be separately stored to your own personal program library (I maintain a personal library of programs for each synthesizer engines).

Finally, I then clean down the OASYS after each project - wipe program slots 111 - 127 for each synth engine, and create a new project folder for the next project/song and start all over again.

Finally, my starting point for all projects is an ALL Data file called "Optimised" - I spent 3 years in total building this - it has the very best programs from all sources - the very best combi's form the likes of Stephen Kay (revoiced, manually!) and samples loaded from the likes of Sharp/Dan's Enigma Flute, my own VP330 and so on. So this Optimised set contains, for me, the very best of everything and is a fabulous starting point for each project.

The net result is:

- my OASYS is completely and permanently configured for my specific needs, with the very best programs, combi's and samples

- I did not touch one single factory internal program or combi - they are all still there as excellent foundation material (I especially like studying combi's to learn the programming technique and genres though I almost never use other people's combi's in my own compositions)

- I have all 3rd programs and combis sorted once and for all - all neatly archived on HD in their totality and a reduced optimised set on board programs and combi banks

- I have all of this instantly recallable though my starting point "optimised" all data set

- I have a project structure and implementation plan in place that allows me to develop projects, create new programs or variants on existing programs on the fly and store them on board without wiping anything existing

- A well structured backup / archival system and finally clean down system to start over.

As said - it took 3 years in total and more than a year to figure out the system that best suits me - and its a massive relief - I can use the OASYS to its maximum all the time. I highly recommend you be patient and go organise yourself in a similar manner. OASYS/Kronos are truly "workstation environments" in every sense of that word and are capable of astounding productions; they need this sort of organisation.

My motivation - too many "in production" works accidently wiped over the years - wiped sequences, wiped programs, wiped MIDI files - I got sick of it and absolutely need full organisation of work flow.

Regards,
Kevin.
jennyoldham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Strategy for saving, loading and organizing Reply with quote

Wow. Very helpful. I really appreciate it!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Kevin. I did something similar on my triton. I would save separate setups for each project I was in. I created a folder with the project name in everything got stored in there. And I kept factory preload intact in its own folder so I could always go back to the original starting point. Organization is the key. I like the idea of putting each synth in its own bank. The beauty of all this is being able to save it to the harddrive. That way you can work on it a little at a time and you can add and change things as time goes on. I come from the days of flipping knobs on a MiniMoog on the fly. Technology has done great things for synthesizers. Long ago I dreamed of doing things that I can do now with one simple button press.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: