Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what can the oasys do that the kronos can't??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

Here's an even bigger advantage to having 2 or more:

If you pair them up via MIDI and you go to Global Mode, you can set one to respond only to Even Notes, and the other one only to Odd Notes. Now you have literally DOUBLED your Polyphony and resources. I NEVER run out of notes anymore because of it. Same thing with my OASYS 88's.

Sina

Sina - this I an excellent point - I never knew this about the Kronos (and Oasys).

I use this feature on quite a number of occasions with two SY77's - and never realised that this could be implemented in Kronos (and OASYS). As indicarted above I own 2 OASYS but don't use the 2nd one much (keep it as a backup) but may now look into using the two of them in such a mode.

Where such a feature comes in handy is if you're thick in a composition using heavilty layered sounds but hear notes being dropped because you're running out of polyphony. If available - bring inthe 2nd instrument (identically configured and mixed) and suddenly dropped notes is no longer an issue. Keeps the work flow, and the creativity, going.

The only issue with using this for an OASYS88 is the sheer size of these instruments - but a Kronos 88 and perhaps a Kronos61 as the 2nd instrument configured in this way would be a very, very potent combination.

Such a feature strengthens the case for a Kronos rack in my opinion; and certainly strengthes the case of the original poster acquiring a 2nd Kronos over a Kronos and an OASYS.

Thanks for that nugget of information Sina.

Kevin.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this feature is already long available and although the need is less than in the past (when polyphony was lower), it still is valid and for extensive/big layering the even/uneven note switching can be nice.

Also for Sina with multiple Kronoses, layering is never an issue anymore. When adding tracks with mutliple layering, he can just create a new combi for the 2nd (or further) synth and continue as if a Kronos has a 32 or 48 timbres combi (or sequencer song).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
yeloop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Shakil wrote:
RichF wrote:
Hi all,

The Kronos actually has six audio inputs- Two analog mic/line ins, two optical S/PDIF ins, and software inputs via USB.

Hi Rich,

Can those six audio inputs be used independently at the same time? So that we could record them to separate audio tracks in the sequencer?

Yes. All you have to do is route them to your mixer or DAW and each program can be individually controlled with or without the assigned effects.

The beauty of the OASYS is the fact that, because you you have 8 Individual Outputs, you can route 8 Timbres at a time in Combi or SEQ Mode to your DAW for direct audio recording with or without effects.

They can be in Stereo Pairs (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/Cool, or Mono.

Even the Inputs on the OASYS and KRONOS can be assigned this way. It's SUPER flexible and makes a very powerful Digital Mixer/DAC.

KRONOS has 4 Individual Outs so you get half of what the OASYS was capable of.

To the OP,

The question isn't what OASYS can do that KRONOS can't. The question is what CAN'T they do (apart from the Sequencer). OASYS STILL gives you amazing Pianos and EP's, even if you don't have the dedicated Engines.

There is ZERO difference in sound quality between the two instruments and the only advantage OASYS will give you is hardware:

8 Individual Outs vs 4 on KRONOS

The Main L/R Outputs on KRONOS are now Balanced, whereas the OASYS is Unbalanced. So that's an improvement.

CD Burner

ADAT I/O (via EXB-DI option) as well as S/PDIF, vs. only S/PDIF I/O on KRONOS

2 XLR/TRS Combo Jacks that have 2 Mic Pre's, each with Phantom Power switches and gain control as well as 2 TRS 1/4" inputs for a total of 4 inputs altogether. KRONOS only has 2 TRS 1/4" Inputs.

OASYS has the bigger, height-adjustable screen, KRONOS is a smaller screen, but it's a glossy higher resolution display. So that's a trade-off, IMO.

OASYS has the Pads, but KRONOS has USB Class Compliant inputs for things like the Nano-Pad and Nano Kontrol. That's another trade-off and a HUGE one at that, given that you can connect up to 127 USB Devices on a single port. Shocked

And Class Compliant means, ANY USB Device will work as long as its supported by the driver on-board the keyboard. And it doesn't even have to be a Korg Device. I love that! Mr. Green

I run an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 and all the Nano-controllers on a USB hub, a hard drive and a 61-Note Novation Impulse on another powered USB hub, leaving at least one port for a thumb drive.

That's pretty huge for me. It works REALLY well and I can assign any Knob, Switch, Slider, Wheel, etc. to any parameter on the KRONOS, as long as I can assign a MIDI CC Parameter to it.

OASYS does have 4 USB Ports, as opposed to only 2 Ports on KRONOS, but because of the Class Compliant USB MIDI Capability, I'd take 2 over 4 ANY day since you can always add USB hubs to add more ports.

KRONOS also adds a B-Type USB Port for full-on DAW Control. The Editor is coming hopefully this month or next month. I saw it in a Musik Messe video, somewhere. Having that in addition to the MIDI In/Out/Thru ports is huge in this day and age.

OASYS is better built, but KRONOS has a really nice build quality to it as well. Kind of takes me back to the M1 and T-Series. It really is a modern-day M1, IMO and I LOVE its look!

But the OASYS has a prestigious look to it that you don't get in KRONOS, part of the reason why I'm NEVER selling my OASYS 88's.

But if I had to choose ONE instrument, it's definitely KRONOS. Internally, with its SSD, the extra Synth Engines, EXs Libraries, KRS Libraries, Drum Track, 480 PPQN Resolution Upgrade in the Sequencer (that ALONE was worth the price tag of KRONOS and its upgrade for me!), faster Dual-Core Processor and all the improvements made to the OS, and DAW Integration coming soon via the Editor, it's a HUGE upgrade to the OASYS.

I now use my OASYS 88's as a DAC, Mastering Processor, Digital Mixer and Master Controller, more than I do as a Workstation nowadays, although I still do use them a LOT in every aspect.

But KRONOS has almost entirely replaced my OASYS 88's as my main Workstation now. I have 4 88's and 4 61's now, and I'm doubling that to be able to load in the new KARO Libraries when I purchase them.

OASYS is now a secondary Workstation, which is what I use to transfer M50, Triton, Tritnity, and Yamaha and Korg Arranger Sequences to add, reassign, or combine sounds before I take them to the DAW.

Sina

This doesn't make any sense if you only have 10 fingers.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
And it's not that I fear anything getting stolen anymore, it's exactly as Ricky said, I don't have time to post pics. I type 120 words a minute, so what seems to be a lengthy post, actually takes me 10-15 minutes to type and I come back to see what the responses are.

It takes less than 15 minutes to make some pictures, upload and link them. I'm not one of those who says you're lying. I'm one of those who's saying that without proof your words get harder and harder to believe. Everything is possible with the right amount of money, so you might be telling the truth, as I wrote before. Proof in the form of pictures would support your credibility though.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
I type 120 words a minute
I've been .. I'm able to.. I'm looking to.. I have KRONOS to cover everything... Soon, my SSL K-Series consoles are gonna be installed... in the biggest way you can imagine... I'm waiting on some investments.. I'm gonna take things to the next level
So OASYS Users, prepare for something HUGE.

Somehow this is amusingly similar to the legends of Kim Jong-Il:
"The first time he bowled, Kim Jong-il scored a perfect 300, according to North Korean media. Similarly, in his first-ever round of golf, he had five hole-in one holes for 38-under par round. "
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I tuned into this thread with interest to read about the lasted take on the differences between Oasys and Kronos..... and got 3 full pages of Sina talk. Face palm

At the end of the day.....even if Sina speaks full truth..... its the music that matters. He has posted some decent music for us to hear...but nothing that justifies the investment that he implies by his statements (time, detail, and money). Doesn't mean its not true....but if it is.....its a "bit" obsessive compulsive. Of course, in my own way, as it relates to gear-slut-izms, I'm pretty bad myself. But I cannot visualize or rationalize the level of depth he talks about. It just seems surreal.

And I have worked around or been associated with some of the biggest pros and "gear slutz" in the industry in my time. I never heard or saw anything like what he talks about.....ever. Even pictorial displays of some of the biggest pro and private-pro studios in the world do not display the kind of redundant gear acquisition that Sina describes. I guess he is the Howard Hughes of gear junkies!??!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sina,
I really don't care to see pictures, but I'd love to listen to some music that you recorded using this massive impressive set-up. Why not upload some of your latest recordings? I'll find them inspiring. I'm sure many others will benefit from them too.

Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
dimitris wrote:
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laugh all you want, dmitris, but unlike you, I'm actually LIVING my dream. Mr. Green

Sina

So, your dream is lying to other musicians about your gear?
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Assyrianpianist wrote:
Hi Sina,
I really don't care to see pictures, but I'd love to listen to some music that you recorded using this massive impressive set-up. Why not upload some of your latest recordings? I'll find them inspiring. I'm sure many others will benefit from them too.

www.reverbnation.com/sinasmusic

There you go! Mr. Green

These are all made on the KRONOS, OASYS and some of the ones at the bottom of the playlist are made with the Triton.

These 3 keyboards lay the foundation for everything I do, and it doesn't matter what I'm using to start with. I always transfer sequences to the OASYS and KRONOS and take it to the DAW to finish them off with, bounce them back into the OASYS for mastering, take the 24-bit WAV files and convert them to mp3's,(which is a disgrace to the quality of these instruments) and upload them to Reverb Nation to be heard.

It's a major pain in my a** because I HATE mp3's and the horrendous quality of them, but it is what is....(sigh)

Sina

Thanks for the link. I listened to the last 5 tracks and then picked some randomly from the old ones. Some of them reminded me of old oxygen stuff which i like a lot. Good stuff all in all, but I have to say that none of these arrangements required anything more than one single Kronos. Now, if you were creating super heavy mock-uptracks with massive orchestral arrangement, I could definitely see if you NEEDED anything more than one keyboard. Your style is exactly the opposite....thin, light texture,sound scapes...nothing heavy or anything of that nature . (Judging from the few I listened to , of ocurse)

Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assyrianpianist wrote:

Thanks for the link. I listened to the last 5 tracks and then picked some randomly from the old ones.

Are there more than 5 tracks there? I could only find five.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: